Monday, September 10, 2007

Weekend Without Dad (Oops!)

Our new shared parenting plan calls for me to have the kids on the weekends corresponding to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Friday of each month. I misread or misremembered and for whatever reason, thought I would have the kids on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd weekends.

Since they weren't expecting me, nobody was home at their mom's when I got there. After a couple tries, I got her on her cell phone and she (correctly) let me know it was her weekend. I disputed her at the time.

I did get to talk to each kid on the phone, wish them a good weekend, and let them know I love them. Then I made a small purchase (to prove I was in town that night). I drove home and re-checked the paperwork to discover that I was wrong.

Saturday after our soccer games, I called and left a message, saying that their mom was right and I was wrong, and letting the kids know how their soccer games had gone. Sunday night I called again after another game and talked to the kids.

It's kind of a bummer. "Levi" had never missed a soccer game in the 9 seasons he has been playing. Also, it was picture day for the soccer teams and we had planned to let each kid pick out something special, like a t-shirt or bobble-head, since this may be their final season of playing soccer in my community.

I'll see them on Tuesday. It's been a long time (over a week). I miss them.

No comments: