Saturday, March 17, 2007

She's Crafty

We did something today that is one of my favorite things to do with my kids. We went to Kids Club at Michael's Crafts.

Our Michael's has this every Saturday and for just $2 each, the kids get to make a fun craft project. Since today was St. Patrick's Day, the craft was to make a green shamrock pin.

They bent a green pipe-cleaner into a J for the stem and glued it to the back of a small wooden heart. Then 3 more wooden hearts were put together to shape a clover and glued to the base heart.

They then got to paint their clovers and coat them with glitter. Finally they glued a small pin to the back.

I really think this is a great program. It doesn't cost much, some weeks are even free! They do a variety of projects, and there is no mess at home to clean up. My kids and I have been doing this for at least 4 years, and they really enjoy it, especially Bess.

It's difficult now since we are involved with soccer and basketball and have games almost every Saturday, but whenever we can we try to fit craft day into our schedule. Now that I am remarried, I often have as many as 5 kids with me from ages 6-9, and they usually all enjoy the craft project.

5 comments:

Keith said...

Not very many of your readers will know the play on the Run DMC title...

KevinL said...

Ah, but they should . . .

And it's the Beastie Boys, not Run DMC.

But thanks for noticing.

Kailani said...

I wish we had a Michael's here. I'm sure my daughter would love to go to a craft program like that.

Here from the Carnival of Family Life

Lisa @ Let's Talk Babies said...

That sounds like a great program for kids, especially if you don't have all the stuff for arts and crafts lying around the house.

Here via the carnival of family life.

Unknown said...

We did the shamrocks, too! We found out about the Michael's Kids Craft in the fall and have hit it every Saturday that we could since then. The kids love it.

Here via CoFL